Gateshead Churches - Other Denominations

Free churches in Gateshead have a long history. Gateshead was the main base for the early Quakers in the region from 1653 until 1697, after George Fox was barred from entering Newcastle. The first Presbyterian Chapel opened on Half Moon Lane in 1786, while the 19th Century brought the Congregationalists, the Baptists and the Salvation Army. Both strict and open Brethren, Pentecostals and numerous independent groups have all made their mark on the Christian landscape of the town. Information on revivals (periods of extraordinary growth) in the evangelical churches in the region can be found on the Revival In The North-East web site.

Brighton Road Presbyterian Church

Built by the Presbyterian Church of England in 1931. Now a United Reformed Church. Photographed 26th January 2000

Denewell Avenue Presbyterian Church

On the corner of Dryden Road, Low Fell. Built in 1914. Now a United Reformed Church. Photographed 5th February 2000

Dunsmuir Grove Congretational Chapel

Built in 1903 and closed in 1968. This chapel is currently awaiting conversion into a hostel for homeless mothers. Photographed 26th January 2000

Cromer Avenue Congational Chapel

Built in 1936, and now a United Reformed Church. Photographed 5th February 2000

Durham Road Baptist Church

The only church building from the three that used to grace 'Amen Corner'. Built in 1877, it faces onto Gladstone Terrace. Photographed 11th January 2000

Beacon Lough Baptist Church

Opened in 1968, Beacon Lough Baptist Church on Southend Road was refurbished and enlarged in 2000. Photographed 19th February 2001

Grove Chapel

Once called the 'Christians' Meeting Place' this small independent chapel on Rawling Road, Bensham is now the home of Grove Evangelical Church. Photographed 26th January 2000

Bensham Gospel Hall

A modern building belonging to the Brethren who have had a presence in Bensham since the late 19th Century. Photographed 26th January 2000

Gateshead Evangelical Church

Originally the Vine Street Mission founded in 1916, the congregation of this independent evangelical church became the Vineyard Fellowship on moving to their new address in Derwentwater Road, changing their name again recently. Photographed 26th February 2000

Salvation Army, Gateshead

The Salvation Army have had barracks in Warwick Street since 1909, though the current building dates from the 1970s. Photographed 7th February 2000

Salvation Army, Felling

Rachel and Louise Agar arrived in the Felling on Saturday 30th March 1878 and quickly saw a dramatic impact for William Booth's Christian Mission which became the Salvation Army a few months later. The present barracks are situated on Smithburn Road. Photographed 21st February 2000

Emmanuel Pentecostal Church

The Assemblies of God congregation in Gateshead was formed in 1928 following a series of meetings in the Boxing Hall in Newcastle by the evangelist Stephen Jeffreys. Over the years they used a number of venues, including a room over a fish & chip shop in Gateshead High Street, and a tin shack in Sheriff Hill, before construction their own building on Old Durham Road in Deckham. Photographed 1993

The Roundhouse

Not all churches meet in buildings designed for the purpose. Christian International Europe purchased this former nightclub on the corner of West Street and Charles Street in 1999 as a base for their European operations and their local congregation. Photographed 15th January 2000

South Street School

It is easy to make the mistake of identifying a church with the building in which it meets, but not all churches own a building. Vision Christian Fellowship hold many of their meetings in local homes, but gather together on a Sunday in a hall in South Street School in Deckham. Photographed 29th December 2000

Return to photo albums directory