Gateshead Churches - Methodist

John Wesley first mentions preaching at Chowdene on Gateshead Fell in March 1743, and it was a place where his preaching met with great success. After his death Methodism fragmented into different groups, many of whom were represented in Gateshead by their chapels. Only a few Methodist chapels remain in use, most were closed in the decades after the different Methodist groups reunited in 1932. Many were demolished, but some have found other uses. For information on Wesley's work in the area, and other great Methodist preachers such as Hodgson Casson and William Booth, take a look at: Revival in the North-East of England.

Saint Mark's

It is quite unusual to have a methodist church named after a saint. Saint Mark's on Durham Road was originally built as a Wesleyan Chapel in 1906

Wesley Memorial Chapel

The earliest Methodist church in Gateshead was originally built in Church Road, Low Fell in 1754. Wesley Memorial on Durham Road, Low Fell dates from 1883, and was originally a Wesleyan Chapel. Photographed 5th Feburary 2000

Wrekenton Methodist Church

On Springwell Avenue. Built in 1902 as a Wesleyan Chapel. Photographed 11th July 2000

Whitehall Road Methodist Church

Built by the Methodist New Connexion in 1896 as a replacement for the much larger Bethesda Chapel in Melbourne Street. Photographed 11th January 2000

15 WoodbineTerrace, Bensham

The home of William and Catherine Booth from 1858 to 1861, while the former was minister of the Bethesda New Connexion Methodist chapel. For information on the Booth's ministry in Gateshead, check out my article. Photographed 11th January 2000

Windy Nook Methodist Church

Sited on Stone Steet, Windy Nook, this was originally a New Connexion Chapel. The original building is mostly obscured by more recent additions. Photographed 26th January 2000

Zion New Connexion Chapel

Zion Chapel on Sodhouse Bank (now Old Durham Road) dates from 1836. The building is now a health club. Photographed 5th February 2000

Ely Street Chapel

Built in 1873 as a Primitive Methodist chapel, Ely Street Chapel was a casualty of the 1932 union of the different Methodist groups. Surplus to requirements, it has found itself converted into a Christadelphian Meeting Room. The building to the right is a Jehovah's Witnesses' Kingdom Hall. Photographed 11th January 2000

Dryden Road Chapel

Built as a Primitive Methodist Chapel in 1910, this is now used as a community centre. It is also used for the meetings of Kelvin Grove Christian Fellowship Photographed 5th February 2000

Victoria Road Methodist Church

The sign on the outside still proclaims this 1882 building in the Teams as a Primitive Methodist Chapel. Photographed 26th January 2000

Chowdene Chapel

Built in 1880 on Bute Terrace, Durham Road, Low Fell as a Primitive Methodist Chapel, this building is now the property of the Open Brethren who have renamed it Chowdene Chapel. Photographed 5th February 2000

Eighton Banks Methodist Chapel

A Primitive Methodist Chapel built in 1891on Jubilee Avenue, and in use until recently. Photographed 11th July 2000

The Mount Chapel

Parts of this chapel on Galloping Green Road in Eighton Banks date back to 1777. For many years it was owned by the United Methodist Free Church, but at present it is a community centre. Photographed 11th July 2000

Sheriff Hill Methodist Church

A modern building from 1974, at the junction of Kell's Lane and the Old Durham Road. It was built on the site of the old United Methodist Free Church Providence Chapel. Photographed 26th January 2000

Felling Methodist Church

A modern building on Coldwell Street. Felling at one stage had 7 Methodist Chapels, now it has only one. Photographed 21st February 2000

Return to photo albums directory