Gateshead Churches - Anglican

There was a monastery in Gateshead mentioned by Bede back in the 7th century, but the first mention of a church in the town is of it being burned down by the locals in 1080 with the Bishop of Durham inside. St. Mary's was built close to the site of that building, and for many years was the only church building in the town. St. Edmunds, though parts were built in the 12th century, wasn't actually used as a church until 1837. Many of the Anglican churches in the town date from the 19th century, when the population of the town grew dramatically and expanded into new areas.

Saint Mary's 1

Built in the 14th century and in use until 1979, Saint Mary's was the parish church of Gateshead. In recent years it has been used by the auctioneers 'Philips'. It is now the visitor information centre for the Gateshead Quays development. Photographed 15th January 2000

Saint Mary's 2

Saint Mary's 3

Saint Mary's 4

Saint Mary's 5

Saint Edmund's 1

The oldest part of what is now Saint Edmund's church on Gateshead High Street, was originally part of the hospital of Saint Edmund. For many years following the reformation it lay in ruins, but in 1837 after restoration work supervised by John Dobson it was reopened as Trinity Chapel (there already being a St. Edmunds' chapel in the town at this time). The building was extended in 1893 and renamed Holy Trinity. In more recent years, the extension (to the left in the photo) has become a community centry, while the church (on the right) has been renamed Saint Edmund's (the other Saint Edmund's church on the Old Durham Road having been demolished). Photographed 15th January 2000

Saint Edmund's 2

Saint Edmund's 3

Saint Cuthbert's

Built in 1848, the John Dobson designed Saint Cuthbert's has been closed in recent years and become a target for vandals. There have been ideas voiced to take it down brick by brick and then rebuild it in Beamish Museum. Photographed 26th January 2000

Saint Chad's

Designed by W.S. Hicks, and built in 1903, St. Chad's on Rawling Road, Bensham, with its unusual hexagonal tower is probably the grandest looking church building in the town. Photographed 26th January 2000

Christ Church

Sited between Bewick Road and Gladstone Terrace in Bensham. Photographed 26th January 2000

Saint George's

Built in 1897, and replacing an earlier temporary iron church, St. Georges' is sited on Durham Road opposite the town's war memorial. Photographed 29th November 2000

Saint James' and Saint Bede's

On Wordsworth Street, off Sunderland Road, St. James' and St. Bede's replaces two earlier churches, St. James' on Park Road and The Church of the Venerable Bede on Sunderland Road which have both been demolished. Photographed 7th February 2000

Saint John's

Visible for miles as it is sited on one of the highest points of Gateshead Fell, St. John's on Church Road, Sheriff Hill, was opened in 1825. Photographed 26th January 2000

Saint Alban's

Originally built as a chapel of ease in 1842, St. Alban's is sited at the junction of Albion Street and Windy Nook Road. Photographed 26th January 2000

Saint Helen's

St. Helen's on Belle Vue Bank, Low Fell, was built in 1876. Photographed 5th February 2000

Saint Ninians

Looking much more like a school, St. Ninian's Church in Ivy Lane, Low Fell, opened in 1968. Photographed 5th February 2000

Saint Thomas', Wrekenton

Hidden away on Galloping Green Lane, Wrekenton. Photographed 11th July 2000

Christ Church, Felling

On Carlisle Street, just north of Felling Metro station. Photographed 21st February 2000

Saint Mary's, Heworth

Built in 1822, and sited just off the Heworth roundabout. Photographed 21st February 2000

Return to photo albums directory